Urania

A blog named for the muse of Astronomy containing musings by an astronomer

Update to Clear Sky Clock Widget for OSX Dashboard

Posted on August 12, 2011 by Juan

In mid 2008 I spent some time learning JavaScript well enough to update and fix the Clear Sky Clock widget for the OSX Dashboard. This widget, developed by Joshua Lynch, pulled Attilla Danko’s Clear Sky Chart images (example shown above) and displayed them on the Mac Dashboard. However, it was not parsing the locations properly. I fixed the location parsing and added a built-in legend and the ability to resize the widget and released it under a GPL license.

This morning I was alerted by Bruce Krobusek to the fact that the widget was no longer allowing users to select a location, at least with the current Snow Leopard and Lion releases. I had not seen this problem because once you had the widget configured (as I did under Leopard), the settings were saved. However, new users could not change the location from the default of Minneapolis, Minnesota without a bit of hacking on the preferences files. After a bit of digging around, I found the glitch in the location parsing. I am not certain, but I believe this failure was occurring due to a change in JavaScript. There were no changes to Attilla’s website where the widget gets its list of locations. In any case, I have fixed the bug and everything seems to be working again.

The new widget, version 1.4, is available at my Clear Sky Clock widget website. If you have the old version installed, you can simply quit the widget, then replace the installed widget with this one. You may have to log out and log back in for the new version of the Clear Sky Clock to be loaded after installing the new version.