Urania

A blog named for the muse of Astronomy containing musings by an astronomer

Scisoft OSX 2009.6.1 Released

Posted on June 05, 2009 by admin

Nor Pirzkal has apparently been busy fixing the issues I noted in last month’s release of Scisoft OSX given his blog entry:

Scisoft OSX Intel 2009.6.1 Released

This version updates the STSDAS/TABLES packages and a few other packages.
It also fixes the issues pointed out by J. Cabanela

The new version of Scisoft OSX 2009.6.1 differs from Scisoft OSX 2009.5.2 in the following ways:

• Stiff was updated from version 1.10 to version 1.12
  • HEASARC fv.app was updated from version 5.1 to version 5.2.1 and properly installed.
  • HEASARC hera.app was updated from version 5.1 to version 5.2.1 and properly installed.
  • HEASARC StudentHera.app was updated from version 5.1 to version 5.2.1 and properly installed.
  • SAOImage DS9 was updated to version 5.6.3 from version 5.3b.
  • Interestingly, the STSDAS and TABLES IRAF packages are still version 3.10, so I am not sure what updates Nor refers to above for STSDAS/TABLES.

The only glitch I noticed is that permissions problems persist. Specifically, when the installer installs Scisoft OSX, it appears that a bug in Apple’s Installer program triggers a change in ownership of the /Applications directory to that of the second user on the system. I strongly suggest checking the ownership of the /Applications directory afterward and if isn’t owned by an administrative user, set it as such using:

sudo chown username:admin /Applications

(where “username” is the primary administrator’s username, in most cases, your username) to perform the repair. I know Nor spent a bit of time trying to resolve this without success last summer, so its a glitch that will probably persist.

I also have a minor gripe. This is not a bug, so much a feature I prefer. I like having the X11 command-line version of ds9 available, so I manually installed the current ds9 command line binary into /Applications/scisoft/i386/bin/.

The current version of Scisoft OSX is available for download from the Scisoft OSX website (or will be shortly) and I have made the package available on my Scisoft OSX mirror as well.

2 to “Scisoft OSX 2009.6.1 Released”

1. JN says:
    Any idea if this version is still compatible with tiger ? Only IRAF seems to work. All the other programs give nice little bus errors.
  2. Juan says:
    If you check the Scisoft OSX Mirror page, you will see the last version compiled under Tiger was Scisoft OSX 2008.2.1 Intel. The newer ones are most definitely NOT intended for Tiger.