Urania

A blog named for the muse of Astronomy containing musings by an astronomer

SciSoft OSX 2008.5.1 Released (with my installation notes)

Posted on May 28, 2008 by Juan

SciSoft OSX Intel 2008.5.1 was released today. Nor’s blog post about the update states

The latest update to Scisoft OSX is now available. This includes an update to Pyraf (v. 1.6), GSL, pygsl, Gunplot, and a few backend libraries.

I went ahead and decided to install it today to investigate the improvements. As is usually my procedure, I first moved the directory containing my functional SciSoft OSX install temporarily out of the way via the command line:

sudo mv /scisoft /scisoft_old

Having done that I double-clicked on the installer package and let it do its thing, installing everything in the /scisoft directory. I poked around a bit an realized almost immediately that /scisoft/i386/Applications directory was empty! This one is kind of a show stopper as it means DS9 and FV are unavailable. I copied the files back from the previous installation without too much of a hitch. I did check, the installer package file with Pacifist and it does appear to contain those files in it, so I am not sure why they didn’t appear to install. I hope this is an isolated incident and not a recurring issue with the installer.

Other minor glitches I noticed:

• I discovered that /scisoft/i386/Packages, /scisoft/NEWS and /scisoft/i386/share are set to have owner 502:502 instead of root:admin. This glitch is easily fixed by issuing the following command from the Terminal
    sudo chown -R root:admin /scisoft/
  • I also noticed that in addition to the x11iraf-1.5DEV installation, the entire x11iraf-1.3.2 installation is still sitting in the /scisoft/i386/Packages directory. All the x11iraf binaries in /scisoft/i386/bin/ are linked to x11iraf-1.5DEV instead of the older 1.3.2 binaries. I suspect this is an oversight.

An investigation of the /scisoft/i386/Packages directory as well as the NEWS file reveals the following changes to this version of SciSoft OSX over the 2008.3.1 version.

• GSL updated from 1.9 to 1.11
  • DS9 updated from 4.13 to 5.1 (The current version of SAOImage DS9 is actually version 5.2, you can read about how to update the SciSoft version of DS9 in this post)
  • GNUPlot updated from 4.0.0 to 4.2.3
  • Swarp updated from version 2.15.7 to 2.17.1
  • WeightWatcher updated from version 1.7 to 1.8.7
  • pyraf updated from version 1.3 to version 1.6
  • The following Python libraries were updated:
    • pygtk updated from 2.8.6 to 2.12.1
    • matplotlib updated from 0.90 to 0.91.2
  • atk library updated from 1.10.3 to 1.22.0
  • cairo library updated from 1.1.6 to 1.6.4
  • cfitsio library updaed from 3.040 to 3.080
  • glib library updated from 2.8.6 to 2.16.3
  • glib-1.2.10 library added as well (possibly for a particular package needing older version of library)
  • gtk+ library updated from 2.8.19 to 2.12.9
  • gtk+-1.2.10 library added as well (possibly for a particular package needing older version of library)
  • pango library updated from version 1.10.4 to 1.20.2
  • pixman 0.10.0 library added
  • libtiff library upgraded from 3.7.4 to 3.8.2

Hats off to the SciSoft OSX folks for keeping this package up to date. I have placed a copy in my SciSoft OSX mirror in case there are any access issues.

1 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 27 08 08 13:09

Urania » Blog Archive » Scisoft OSX 2008.8.1 released

2 to “SciSoft OSX 2008.5.1 Released (with my installation notes)”

1. Stuart Littlefair says:
    I had the same problem as you; the applications folder was empty. It looks like this is a problem with the installer....
  2. Gus says:
    i found something different. ds9 was indeed missing from /scisoft/i386/Applications folder though the others, like fv, were still there. A review of the install.log in Console.app I found that scisoft instead "diverted" DS9 to my /Applications/ installation of SAOIMage DS9.app. pkgExtractor[99481]: Diverting "./scisoft/i386/Applications/SAOImage DS9.app" to "/Applications/SAOImage DS9.app" Which had the unfortunate consequence of reverting ds9 from 5.3b to 5.2, which I did not notice until ds9 stopped working due to my active Leopard firewall.