Urania

A blog named for the muse of Astronomy containing musings by an astronomer

Scisoft OSX Intel 2007.9.1 released

Posted on September 18, 2007 by Juan

Another new version of Scisoft OSX for Intel has been released and is available for download here. Here’s the entire description of the changes in this version of Scisoft OSX from the release notes:

This version contains an updated [ESO-]MIDAS package.         

I checked the list of packages included and sure enough, the only change was in the ESO-MIDAS package (whose current version is actually 07SEPpl1.0).

I don’t use ESO-MIDAS, which is an image reduction package aimed as users of ESO’s La Silla facilities and the VLT at Paranal, so I can’t really comment as to the usefulness of this update. As with previous versions of Scisoft, the release notes warn if you use Aquaterm devices for PGPLOT, GNUPLOT, or any other packages that you “must manually run /scisoft/i386/Applications/Aquaterm.app once first to enable the aquaterm devices.”

I have also confirmed that this release also fixes the IRAF problem with symbolic linking to mkpkg and xc in /scisoft/i386/bin/ I referred to earlier in my blog.   Thanks for the fix guys!

Finally, as I noted with the last release of Scisoft, my standard method for updating Scisoft OSX is to move my existing /scisoft directory to /scisoft_old and then I unpack the new version. That way, in case anything goes wrong, I can always switch back.